Saturday, October 22, 2011

Breakfast for Two... Or Twenty

My husband is the best man in an upcoming wedding. Sticking to his best man duties, he organized and hosted the bachelor party. It was an out of town gathering at a lakehouse for an entire weekend. Now ladies, I know what you are thinking... What will I do with weekend all to myself? In my head, I'm envisioning hot baths, a couple of naps, maybe some shopping on Saturday afternoon. Before I can enjoy any such delights, I have to put on my party planning hat and pack up enough food together to feed twenty dudes. The hamburgers, sausage dogs and extras were a cinch. The tricky thing... breakfast. Men are great at cooking breakfast... for one. Try cooking for twenty hungry men. This takes some planning.

I decided on egg casserole. Easy to prep, easier to bake. The best part is, I can prep this for the hubs a day in advance, freeze, and send him away with two days worth of breakfast. (Side note: I was in such a rush, I did not have time for photos. Sorry friends, blogger fail.)

Step 1 -- Saute one package of Owens pork sausage, which can be found in your local supermarket. Like spicy? Try their hot sausage for an added kick. Drain grease.

Step 2 -- Cut the crust off of several slices white bread (gasp, yes I said it and yes, I did use white bread.). For some reason, white bread just works better, although technically, any sandwich bread on hand will work. Line the bottom of a 9 x13 baker with the crustless slices.

Step 3 -- Sprinkle sausage over bread.

Step 4 -- Sprinkle shredded cheese over sausage. The cheese goes on before the egg to prevent burning during baking. Use your discretion. If you like it cheesy, pour it on. This is a creative step -- different cheeses can dress up your dish. My personal favorite is freshly grated pepper jack, but the hubs will not touch the stuff, so this dish gets plain old Colby Jack.

Step 5 -- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together. Use 10 large eggs for a 9 x 13 baker. Five to six eggs for an 8 x 8 pyrex.

Step 6 -- Add 1.5 cups of milk. Combine with egg mixture.

Step 7 -- Pour egg / milk mixture into the pan, making sure to cover any exposed bread.

Bake at 350*F for 45 minutes. Taking it to a friend's house? Freeze casserole prior to transport and for preservation for up to three days. Be sure to thaw it out before cooking. Best served with corn tortillas and salsa. Your man and his friends will not go hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment